Church, Huntsville, Alabama
The First Baptist Church of Huntsville,
Alabama was organized on June 3, 1809. The first name of the church
was West Fork of Flint River Church. It was renamed
Enon Church shortly thereafter. John Canterbury was called
as the pastor on August 2, 1809.
This group became a charter member of the
Flint River Baptist Association in 1814. Services were held in
members' homes until a log meetinghouse was constructed in 1813.
This building served until 1825 when a brick church was constructed
three miles northeast of Maridianville.
In 1861 under the leadership of Pastor
Eugene Strode, the congregation moved to Huntsville. The Enon
Baptist Church was renamed First Baptist Church of Huntsville in
Images provided by
the History Committee of FBC Huntsville, Alabama